When done well, this age-old combination can be exactly what you want. This roasted tomato soup recipe is loaded with fresh tomato flavor that’s perfectly balanced. It’s smooth, sweet, and perfectly seasoned with plenty of fresh basil, garlic, and onion. The easy soup is an ideal way to use up the last of this gift from Mother Nature. There was a great display of them at my favorite local market yesterday at Swamp Rabbit Cafe and I had to pick some up.
Pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich and heaven awaits!!
1.5 # ripe tomato, cut in half
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
7 each sprigs of fresh thyme
1 each white onion, small diced
4 each garlic cloves
To taste kosher salt
To taste freshly ground black pepper
1 cup basil leaves
- Coat tomatoes with oil. Then roast in 325’F oven with aromatics for 1 1/2 hours.
- Sweat onions and garlic in heavy bottom pot until caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine tomato and onion mixture with juice in pot.
- Cook together for another hour on a low simmer.
- Puree and steep in basil.
4 oz fresh buffalo-milk mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
2 oz fontina cheese
4 slices of bread of your choice (here I used a Pullman Loaf)
Extra virgin olive oil for brushing (here in the south we brush the bread with Duke’s mayonnaise)
- Layer cheese on bread to form a sandwich.
- Brush oil or Mayo on both sides of bread.
- Preheat the sandwich press or sauté pan.
- Place on heat and cook until first side is golden brown about 4 minutes and flip oven and repeat.
- To serve: place soup in warm bowl and place grilled cheese on the side. Serve immediately. ENJOY!!