Tomato Season is Here!!!
1 # ripe tomato, cut in half
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
7 each sprigs of fresh thyme
1 each white onion, small diced
4 each garlic cloves
To taste kosher salt
To taste freshly ground black pepper
1 quart tomato juice
1 cup basil leaves
- Coat tomatoes with oil. Then roast in 325’F oven with aromatics for 1 1/2 hours.
- Sweat onions and garlic in heavy bottom pot until caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine tomato and onion mixture with juice in pot.
- Cook together for another hour on a low simmer.
- Puree and steep in basil.
2 oz thinly sliced prosciutto
4 oz fresh buffalo-milk mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
6 slices of ciabatta or bread of your choice
Extra virgin olive oil for brushing
- Layer prosciutto, cheese on bread to form a sandwich.
- Brush oil on both sides of bread.
- Preheat the sandwich press or sauté pan.
- Place on heat and cook until first side is golden brown about 4 minutes and flip oven and repeat.
- To serve: place soup in warm bowl and place grilled cheese on the side. Serve immediately. ENJOY!!