Tripe can be a challenging ingredient for many, but for the discerning few, it is the first thing on my menu they order. Don’t worry, leftovers freeze well in the sauce.
1 pounds tripe
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 each carrots, thinly sliced
1 each celery stalk, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 cups tomato sauce, (recipe)
4 each fresh sage leaves
1/4 cup pecorino romano, freshly grated
1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano, freshly grated
8 each basil leaves, finely chopped
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 each yellow onion, chopped ¼-dice
4 each cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh oregano
1 each carrot, minced
2 large cans of whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand (about 28 oz each can)
To taste kosher salt
To taste freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- For the sauce: In a large heavy bottom pot. Heat oil
- Add onion, garlic to sweet with a light golden brown color.
- Add oregano and carrot. Cook 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add basil and remove from the heat.
- In a large pot combine the tripe, vinegar, vanilla and enough water to cover the tripe by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until the tripe is very tender, about 1 to 1 ¼ hours till trip is tender.
- Drain the tripe, reserving the cooking liquid, and allow to cool. Slice the tripe into 1-inch strips.
- In a 14 to 16-inch skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat until almost smoking. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and tripe and sauté 8 minutes until golden brown. Add the tomato sauce and sage. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 30 minutes. Add some of the reserved tripe cooking liquid if tomato sauce gets to thick
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the grated cheeses and the basil and stir to combine. When the tripe is finished, divide evenly among 6 warmed bowls. Serve with slices of toasted crusty bread.
Serve immediately. ENJOY!!