Prized by gourmets throughout the world, Sweetbreads are the thymus glands of the Veal, young Beef, Lamb and Pork. You can find them in good butcher or specialty market.
1 lb sweetbreads
2 quarts whole milk
4 stalks celery
1 head fennel
1 each lemon
2 tablespoons capers
1 tablespoons shallots, minced
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
To taste extra virgin olive oil
To taste kosher salt
To taste freshly ground pepper
1 gallon cold water
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 each yellow onion, rough chopped
2 each celery stalks
2 each bay leafs
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 tablespoons salt
2 cups a.p flour
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
4 each sprigs of fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 tablespoons of chives, minced
- Rinse sweetbreads well under cold water. Then transfer to container that will hold milk and sweetbreads. Allow to sit overnight in refrigerator. (This will help remove all impurities.) Please note: THIS WILL NOT HELP WITH A LOVER! Ha-ha
- Shave celery and fennel thin on a mandolin. Combine with capers, zest, shallots, oregano, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Next day get a 6-quart pot and add water, vinegar, vegetables and seasonings. Slip in sweetbreads. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer gently 10 minutes. Remove sweetbreads then transfer to a bowl of ice and cold water to cool.
- Drain sweetbreads on paper towel. Using a sharp knife remove the outer skin/membrane from the sweetbreads. Then combine flour, salt, pepper and dust sweetbreads.
- Place a large sauté pan on medium heat. Add oil and butter. When the butter starts to froth add the sweetbreads. Add sprigs of thyme and crushed garlic to the pan. When the sweetbreads start to get a nice golden color on the edges, turn over and place in the oven (400’F) to finish cooking for about 6-8 minutes. Remove the “breads” to a paper towel then plate immediately.
- To serve: mount shaved salad on plate and top with sweetbreads. Garnish with chives. Serve immediately. ENJOY!!