It was the first recipe I learned to cook from my mentor.
My Dad’s favorite recipe!
2 tablespoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
8 ounces guanciale or pancetta
1 pound pasta
2 cups grated parmigiano-reggiano
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
¼ cup heavy cream (optional)
To taste cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- Bring 4 quarts of water to boil in a large pot with salt.
- Meanwhile, combine the olive oil and guanciale in a large saut é pan set over medium heat,
and cook until the guanciale has rendered its fat and is crispy and golden.
Remove from the heat and set aside (do not drain the fat).
- Cook the spaghetti in the boiling water until al dente.
Drain the pasta and reserve about a ½ cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Add the reserved pasta water to the pan with the guanciale,
cream and then toss in the pasta and heat, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat,
add 1 cup of the cheese, eggs, peppers to taste and toss until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the pasta among four warm pasta bowls.
Garnish with the remaining ¼ cup cheese and parsley over the top.
Serve immediately. ENJOY!!