This classic Sicilian dessert should be filled as close to serving time as possible. If filled too far ahead of time, the shell will become soggy and nobody likes a soggy cannoli.
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons of butter, melted
3/4 cup Marsala wine
2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
1 15oz container of Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips
confectioners sugar for dusting
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, sugar and salt. Add the melted butter and marsala wine. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until well mixed.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Roll out the dough until very thin. Using a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass,
cut dough into 4-inch rounds, and roll again until very thin.
- Roll each piece tightly around a cannoli tube. Seal with egg white.
- Place the dough forms in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Place on paper towels to drain. Cool and gently twist tube to remove shell from form.
- In a large mixing bowl whip sugar, vanilla and ricotta together until smooth,
then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon filling into a pastry bag with a large round tip. Pipe the ricotta cream into the pastry shells, dust with confectioner’s sugar and serve immediately ENJOY!!